Welcome to North Canaan
North Canaan is located at the junctions of Route 44 and Route 7 in the northwest corner of Connecticut. The town was incorporated in 1858 when it separated from the Town of Canaan (Falls Village). The town is governed by a Board of Selectmen, Board of Finance and traditional New England style Town Meeting.
The town center of North Canaan is locally known as Canaan. Canaan was built around where the former Central New England Railroad east-west tracks connecting Hartford, Connecticut and Poughkeepsie, NY cross the active Housatonic Railroad north-south tracks connecting Danbury, Connecticut and Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The Canaan Union Depot, completed in 1872, was build adjacent to this railroad intersection. The Canaan Union Depot is the largest Victorian railroad station in the United States. It has been restored after a fire in 2001 and is now open to the public.
The eastern portion of North Canaan is locally known as East Canaan. East Canaan is historically known for its iron industry and is today known for its dairy farm operations, limestone mines and bucolic character. The Beckley Furnace, built in 1847, is one of the few remaining iron blast furnaces that once operated in the tri-state area of Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York. The Beckley Furnace was restored in the late-1990s and is now open to the public as the State of Connecticut’s only Industrial Monument.